It is difficult to explain what is inherently intangible, so
trying to describe what I felt in Australia is going to be nearly impossible.
Here goes nothing.
There’s a sensation one feels the moment that foot touches
land after being on the ship for so long- and no, I am not talking about the
kind of feeling you get after being on a trampoline for an extended period of
time and the Earth feels like it is bending and shaking underneath you. I am
talking about the feeling you get when you arrive somewhere and you just know whether or not you will like it;
whether or not you feel safe, happy or even if you know you will hate where you
are. It is almost as if every location has its own energy coursing through its
pavement.
In Dubai, the energy was unreal. And that is probably
because it was just that; unreal. It
was a lot of bright lights, lots of fireworks and razzmatazz without a whole
lot of substance. It was a show without heart. But that is not a bad thing.
Dubai is a place where the super-rich go to escape from reality. They are not
paying through the nose to have to face whatever had already been left behind,
so the un-realness is exactly what Dubai needs.
On the other end of the spectrum, Alexandria was almost too real. The city unapologetically
stayed the same and did not alter itself and put on a façade to appease the
thousands of guests who trampled the city littered in trash and debris every
year. It is almost as if it said, Here I am, this is me. Take it or leave it. In
its own way, that was pretty beautiful and brave to be so genuine with reckless
abandon and without compromise.
Australia, however… Australia was something unique. The
night before docking in our first port, Darwin, I was so excited I literally
didn’t go to sleep. I had to find ways to occupy my time before docking at 6 in
the morning other than pacing back and forth because my roommate started to
think I had issues. It has always been my dream to go to Australia and I was
finally here. I was like a kid on
Christmas who had been given a thousand dollars to go to a candy store and then
told I was going to Disney world. Yes that
excited.
Once daylight broke I ran to the porthole closest to my room
and pressed my nose up to the glass to watch the shores come in closer and
closer. Once we finally laid down our anchor, my heartbeat spiked and I got
even antsier. Around 10 o’clock I
met up with some Americans and we set off to explore Darwin, our first stop in
Queensland, Australia. After swiping our cards to leave the ship, I stepped out
into the Australian sun- which, by the way, I feel like was a heat lamp that
God forgot to turn off over top the country- and took a deep breath. I
immediately felt at home.
Walking around the city the energy felt electric and
inviting but somehow still very relaxed, but not lazy. It is almost as if the
people of Australia do everything the rest of the world does, but does not find
the need to stress out about when it gets done. It is a very calming feeling.
We wandered to the Crocosaurus Zoo, which, unsurprisingly,
was home to crocodiles. Terrifying, monstrous, ugly, gnarly crocodiles. You
remember Steve Irwin? Remember how he used to wrestle these things? Well now I
know why he was famous for doing it- these things have jaws that are so
powerful they have the bite force of 44k. And they live in the water here- both
salt and fresh. However, baby ones are actually kind of cute and cuddly! We met
one named fluffy and did the normal tourist “oo-ing” and “ahh-ing” that we are
expected to do. We took many photos and pointed at things that probably don’t
even faze the typical Aussie. One should note: they drive on the left side of
the road and the toilets do flush the
opposite way.
Getting back on the boat was sad for me; I didn’t want to
leave so soon. But I was even more excited for the next port of call, Brisbane,
to meet up with my dear friend Ash who graciously agreed to show me around his
city while I was there!
Ash has been a good friend of mine for a couple of years
now. I met him in New York City while hanging around and lollygagging with
Matt. Ash back then did what Aussies do best; talk to strangers. He came up to
Matt and I and asked if we were local and was wondering if we could show him
around the city a bit. We have been friends ever since. Ash has been back to
New York City since then and kept telling me to come to Brisbane ASAP because I
would love it. I constantly told him I would get there eventually, never really
believing it myself. All of a sudden, here I am on the Solstice traveling 22 knots and hour, barreling towards his home
city. It’s all very surreal.
Brisbane is part of the Gold Coast, which is famous for its
rum, its beautiful beaches and Steve Irwin’s zoo, among other things. I can
attest to the fantastic rum and its absolutely astounding beaches. We took a
trip from the port of Brisbane to a place called Surfer’s Paradise, which is the
most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my life. The beach had crystal clear
waters, the air smelled only of salt, the sand was free of trash and the people
were friendly and slightly less obese than I am used to on New Jersey shores.
We enjoyed a nice lunch by the beach and caught up. Having
an extensive conversation with an Aussie always plants an idiotic smile on my
face because I love the accent and the lingo. My favorite of their
colloquialisms is I think what perfectly exemplifies the Australian spirit; No
worries. There is no single phrase that could characterize them better No
worries, what a perfect saying.
After spending my day in Brisbane, all I can think dream
about is going back to the city on a slightly more permanent basis. Till we
meet again, my dear city.
That sounds amazing... you better have pictures when you come home.
ReplyDeleteNo, I'm not kidding...
YOU BETTER HAVE PICTURES. D:<