Saturday, November 24, 2012

30 Days and 30 Nights

     In some ways it's really hard to believe that I have been on the Solstice for a whole month. In some ways, it seems like I just stepped foot on the ship yesterday, and in others it feels as if I have been here for much longer than just the 30 days that have passed so far.
    Just one month ago I was reluctantly saying good-bye to my family at the airport, leaving behind literally everything I knew in search of adventure and experiences to carry me through a life-time. Boarding the plane to Barcelona I was anxious, nervous and honestly a little bit scared of the world I had never seen other than in pictures of magazines. But I was excited, ready to take whatever head-on and not back down.
    After I landed in Barcelona I met up with my friend Julia, a local that I know through tennis. She showed me around the city a little bit; I rode of the back of a motorcycle in the pouring rain, saw La Sagrada Familia and had a mojito in Spain. Never thought I would say I had done all those things in one day. The very next day I was taken to the ship and was completely awestruck by the size of the vessel. 14 floors, 2000 guests, 1000 employees. The first day was a whirlwind of paperwork, orientation and meetings. Then I was put straight to work. Despite the fact that you have an orientation period, they expect you to get trained mostly on the job. Between the crazy work hours, the constant moving between time zones and being homesick, the first few days were pretty exhausting.
    Our first stop brought me to Alexandria, Egypt. While not exactly a 4-star luxury city, it had its own unique charm and appeal. Something that a world traveler may very well like to see and experience because its so raw and unpolished. I cannot express how fascinating I found the city to be. The next place I stopped in was Duabi, UAE. Talk about a wonderland. The metropolis just oozed money and affluence. Had I not been on the ship I don't think they would have let someone so common as myself even look at the city! What a blast that night was.
     Then came my first missed holiday. Thanksgiving. In the past, Thanksgiving marked the first of the holiday season that I spent surrounded by many friends and family. It was when everyone came home from college for a few days and we all spent time together talking about what we've missed in each other's lives and saying so long for a couple weeks until winter break came along. It represented the season that brings my family back together and warms my heart and brings tears to my eyes. I sat in my room thinking about everything that I'd miss back home and going through old pictures from years past before going to work and serving a few hundred meals before lunch was even over. During my break I ran into some friends from the spa and the gym; two Americans and a few English girls plus one Australian. They talked me in to staying for a game of make-shift 6 cup beer pong on two small circular tables in celebration of Thanksgving. I stayed and I couldn't be happier that I did. They reminded me that the holidays were about celebrating everything you love and appreciate. It was a great day.
      I've met some amazing people on board the ship, been to seven countries, and eight cities, fallen in love with one or two of our stops along the way and continue to look towards the future to see what this journey will bring me. 30 days down and 95 more to go; bring it on. Next stop, Bali and Australia!

No comments:

Post a Comment