It’s really easy to forget why you start doing something you love. In
the beginning it’s all rainbows and butterflies, things just couldn’t go wrong.
The sun is always shining and the birds are always singing. But then reality
sinks in and what you love suddenly becomes something you loathe and can’t wait to get away from. It’s no different working
in the kitchen. The first week or so on board couldn’t have been more magical.
Everything was brand new and waiting to be discovered. By the end of the second
week, though, everything became familiar and very gray. And then yesterday I
felt it.
I
woke up at 7 am just as I do every day, but it was different. I hit the “Shut
the hell up” button on my phone and stared at my ceiling for a solid ten
minutes before every so gracefully falling down the three rungs of my bunk bed
ladder to be greeted by my work clothes waiting for me on the chair sitting
next to my dresser. I showered, brushed my teeth, shaved and got dressed and I
knew; today I did not want to go to work. How horrible of a feeling to not want
to go to work. To feel too tired, too stressed, too much of everything to put
on your shoes and go face the day. To not want to do something that once made
you so elated and now just makes you want to crawl in to bed and slip in to a
temporary coma and not wake up until someone finds you a new job somewhere else
away from all of these people. Yet somehow, I made it up to the fourth floor
and started my day peeling and peeling, and chopping and chopping, and mincing
and staring off into space wondering what fresh air smells like. Break time. Nap time. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Around 7:45, the tail end of first dinner seating, I was walking to the
dish pit when the executive sous chef, Sergio, came up to me and said in a
hurry, “Do you have a black apron?”. I answered simply, “Yes.” And pointed to
the apron I was already wearing. “Perfect!” he said, took me by the hand and
lead me to the doors of the Grand Epernay where all the customers come to eat
dinner. There was music blaring and I could feel the bass in my chest like an
external heart beat. A rhythmic clapping and lots of shouts and whistles joined
the thumping; it sounded like a party.
Sergio turned to me and said, “Just remember to smile.” I started to ask
him what was going on but before I could get the words of my mouth he winked at
me, opened the double doors to the Grand Epernay and shoved me into the ruckus.
I
had no idea what was going on. Everyone
was on their feet. Black Eyed Peas was playing at a decibel I didn’t know was
possible. Customers were waving their napkins around in the air. Strobe lights
were going off and a DJ was announcing the arrival of the kitchen crew.
“Ladies and gentlemen, the stars of your
dinner show tonight, the Galley staff lead by Head Executive Chef Javier
Carabe!” My head chef came out from behind a podium on the other side of the
dining room and started jumping up and down, pumping his fist in the air and
encouraging all the guests to scream even louder. Next the executive sous chef
did the same, followed by the head Pantry chef, the Sous Chef, the Pastry, the
Bakery Chef and even the Crew Mess Chef.
“And lets not forget the amazing team behind these incredible leaders, “
continued the DJ “the dedicated crew
that makes all of this possible, your galley
crew!” All of a sudden a rush of 1st cooks, 2nd
cooks, Chef de Partie and numerous other galley crewmen rushed the stage
jumping up and down. They were all laughing and having a good time. I couldn’t
help but smile along with them.
“What are you doing! Go on the stage!” said one of my fellow cooks on the line with me, grabbing my hand and running towards the stage. We climbed on the stage and started laughing and playfully shoving each other around and being silly to entertain the guests. For a few minutes I forgot about how much I hated work and everything that came along with it. I forgot about how much prep I had to do. I forgot how many carrots I had to peel. I forgot about how many plates I had to serve. I just enjoyed being happy with everyone on that stage.
When the music stopped playing the DJ asked the crowd if they enjoyed
their dinners on board the ship they produced a deafening roar. I looked around
at all the guests and they were smiling and applauding. They were genuinely
happy. At the end of it all we all went back in to the kitchen. My chef came
over and put his hand on my shoulder and said, “Never forget what makes you
happy.” and walked away. The whole
reason I started cooking is because it’s a way to achieve a person-to-person
connection that breaches all barriers. Food is an expression of love that warms
the heart and soul. I had forgotten why I started cooking, what made me happy.
Seeing all the guests exuding the kind of love and appreciation reminded me why I was here. Never forget what makes you happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment