Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day 1

So, what I really wanted to call this blog was, "imkeepingthisblogbecauseifididntmymotherwouldcometonewzealandandkillmeinmysleep". Strangely enough, though, that URL was already taken! Who knew?

Perhaps the most interesting part about this whole, "going abroad and seeing the world while getting paid to do it thing" is that I had have absolutely NO concept of what I'm doing. What do I mean, you may ask? Well, what I great question! I may answer. Here's how a typical conversation would go about a couple months ago with some of my friends.

Friend: "Hey! How are you? Do you know where you're going for externship yet?"
Me(in between tears): "No shut up."

And then about two weeks ago...

Friend: "I see that you have an externship with Celebrity Cruise lines, that's so great! Do you know where you're going?"
Me" "No."
Friend: " Oh... do you know how long you'll be there?"
Me: "No."
Friend: "Uh.. are you getting paid?"
Me: " That's a mighty fine question to which I have no response."
Friend: "Do you get to get off the boat?"
Me: "No clue."
Friend: "... do you know anything about your externship?"
Me: "That I have one. Why do you ask so many questions anyway?"

Yes, as you can see, I am one extremely well prepared individual. However, I know the answers to all those questions and (not much) more! I flew from JFK to Barcelona Airport and will board my ship, the Celebrity Solstice from here; we will be doing a tour around Australia and New Zealand, going around in one giant circle for a little bit. It's going to be so great. Don't worry, dearest of friends, I AM getting paid. I refuse to disclose the dollar amount mostly because I'm being paid in children's tears, and thats hard to convert to the USD. I do get the opportunity to get off the boat and explore when I have time off and we're in port, which is exciting! As you may all well know, I love Australians and (I'm assuming) New Zealand folk. Hey, interesting little bit of information for you all. People from NZ are called Kiwis. Which is great, because I love Kiwis as an edible fruit. I also know that there are more sheep than people and that there is an uncanny build up of sulfur there so it can smell like rotten eggs on occasion. Also, I'm not sure what Australians do as a country, but I think they're paid to be happy all the time.

Anyway, I will keep this updated as often as possible. I can't promise it will be interesting, though. I love and miss you all already (except for you, Rebecca Senatore!) and can't wait to hear all about your lives as well. Keep in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment