Tuesday, October 30, 2012

There' No Escaping New Jersey

One of my favorite parts about being on this ship is that the crew represents about 40-50 different countries. You could literally go around the ship and ask where people are from and get a different answer almost every time. That being said, however, there are almost no Americans! There are so few of us that whenever someone asks where I'm from and I answer, "United States", their eyes light up like they just found the cutest puppy in the entire world. When they ask where in the US I say New Jersey most of them have no idea what that is, apart from the few that watch the Jersey Shore on MTV anyway and in that case I walk away shaking my head and wanting to find Snooki and drop kick her in the face. So when they don't know what New Jersey is I say New York and they go wild- everyone here loves New York. Now I'm known as Ryan from New York, which is kind of a lie but whatever I'm sure it won't cause them to lose any sleep.

The only people I've met here from the States have been entertainers; dancers, singers, musicians and that sort of thing. And the weird thing? ALL from New Jersey. Every. Single. One. I'm almost 6000 miles away from home and people from 20 miles from Sparta are on the boat with me. You literally cannot escape New Jersey!

No comments:

Post a Comment